Move over Dalgona Coffee, you had your moment….
But you were finicky and unimpressive.
Affogato al Caffe is where it’s at.
Now this is a classic Italian summer dessert that never lets me down.
This easy and quick to make dessert is the perfect after lunch dessert and also makes one heck of a fantastic afternoon pick-me-up treat.
Affogato means drowned in Italian and that’s exactly what this is, ice cream drowning in a shot of freshly brewed espresso.
For coffee lovers this is heavenly.
I must admit, after 40++ years of living in Canada, it appears I may have slightly “Canadianized” my Affogato.
How you ask?
With a drizzle of maple syrup of course. LOL
That liquid gold goes great with coffee and I use it daily instead of sugar and if you’ve never tried it, you should.
Now, if you want to take this dessert to the next level then I suggest using coffee flavoured ice cream.
What’s that? You want more?
Ok, how about adding a splash of Bailey’s Irish Cream Liqueur, or any other nut flavoured liqueurs.
Oh come on, you don’t want me to stop there do you?
Go on, crush some Amaretti cookies or your favourite biscotti with a rolling pin and sprinkle over top.
Now, that’s what I call a summer treat!
Affogato Al Caffè
Affogato al Caffe
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream (chocolate or coffee ice cream is also delicious)
- 1 shot brewed espresso coffee
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- dollop of whipped cream (the one in the spray can is perfect for this use)
- dash of cocoa powder and ground cinnamon
- Brew your espresso and set aside. (if you have an espresso machine rather than a Moka style coffee brewer, you can simply scoop out your ice cream into the glass and then brew the coffee right over the ice cream)
- Place ice cream in a large glass and then, pour espresso over it.Drizzle maple syrup on top, add a dollop of whipped cream and dashes of cocoa and cinnamon.
- Serve with a teaspoon and enjoy immediately.