Move over Dalgona Coffee, you were finicky and unimpressive….
Here’s a classic Italian summer dessert that never lets me down!
In fact it makes a fantastic afternoon pick-me-up treat, plus it’s easy and fast to prepare.
Affogato means drowned in Italian and that’s exactly what this is, ice cream drowning in a shot of freshly brewed espresso.
After 43 years of living in Canada, it appears I may have “Canadianized” my Affogato.
Yes, you guessed it…I added maple syrup.
I just can’t help it, I love maple syrup! Especially in my coffee!
Now, if you want to take it to the next level then you’ve gotta make it with coffee flavoured ice cream.
And, I highly recommend you add a spoonful of Kahlua or Bailey’s Irish Cream, or any other nut flavoured liqueurs. Delicious!
Oh come on, don’t stop there…add some crushed Amaretti cookies or biscotti sprinkled over top.
Now that’s what I call a summer treat!
Affogato Al Caffè
Affogato al Caffe
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream (chocolate or coffee ice cream is also delicious)
- 1 shot brewed espresso coffee
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- dollop of whipped cream (the one in the spray can is perfect for this use)
- dash of cocoa powder and ground cinnamon
- Brew your espresso and set aside. (if you have an espresso machine rather than a Moka style coffee brewer, you can simply scoop out your ice cream into the glass and then brew the coffee right over the ice cream)
- Place ice cream in a large glass and then, pour espresso over it.Drizzle maple syrup on top, add a dollop of whipped cream and dashes of cocoa and cinnamon.
- Serve with a teaspoon and enjoy immediately.