I heard Christmas music playing the other day while shopping…
It always feels a smidgen too early to me if it’s before December 1st, but this year, with this ongoing pandemic situation, I am happy to start the festivities asap.
It seems a lot of people feel the same way, so let’s get this holiday season under way already!
Time to start sharing some of my favourite cookie recipes and get baking.
Simple homemade cookies such as shortbreads, sugar cookies and slice and bake are pretty easy to make. And they are so worth the extra effort.
Make them in November, then freeze them in Tupperware containers and you will have freshly baked cookies ready to go during the festive season.
This recipe is my version of a traditional Viennese cookie, the Vanillekipferl (vanilla crescents).
There are a lot of different recipes for these cookies out there, but this is the way I like to make them.
They are a delicious addition to your cookie tray this Christmas.
Also, they happen to pair perfectly with a hot cup of coffee or tea, a blanket, a crackling fire and a great book…just sayin’…
Give them a try and let me know what you think.
Austrian Holiday Cookies
Austrian Holiday Cookies
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter cut into cubes, room temperature
- 1/4 cup icing sugar for dusting
- In a small bowl stir together egg yolks and vanilla, set aside.
- In an electric mixer bowl or food processor bowl, add remaining ingredients, then add egg mixture, and mix on med speed until crumbly and well combined (if using food processor until dough begins to form).
- Gather dough up with your hands, kneading gently but firmly to form a ball.Cover with seran wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.Remove wrap and divide dough in half, rewrap and return one half back into the fridge.
- Divide the half you kept out in half again, and roll/shape each piece gently into a log, which you will then slice into 9 pieces.Roll each slice between the palms of your hands, to form a small log and then turn inwards to form a crescent shape.
- Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet.Bake for about 15 min or until golden on bottom.
- Remove and gently transfer cookies to a wire rack, dust with a bit of icing sugar and set aside to cool.Repeat process with remaining dough.When all cookies have been baked and cooled dust them with remaining icing sugar and serve.