Chicken Marsala…definitely a winner in the Instant Pot!
This deliciously saucy dish is actually pretty easy to make on the stove top.
So why bother using the Instant Pot you ask? Well…chicken turns out great in the IP and this one kept popping up in my recipe searches on Pinterest so it had to be tested.
I decided to proceed with my own recipe, almost exactly as I usually do when cooking it in a pan. The recipe calls for a cup of liquid normally, so it made sense that it would translate well to Insta cooking, and it did.
If you don’t have Marsala wine on hand just substitute with sherry or vermouth, or a combination of both…but in my opinion a house is not a home without Marsala😜 so go out and get yourself some would ya!
Serve this yummy chicken with pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes…something to soak up that fantastic mushroom sauce!
INSTANT POT CHICKEN MARSALA
Here are the basic instructions for preparing this delicious dish:
Season the chicken with salt + pepper dredge cutlets in flour and saute in a bit of oil in the instant pot.
Transfer to a plate and set aside, then add onion, mushroom and garlic to pot and cook until softened.
Add Marsala, broth, bay leaves and thyme and return chicken to pot.
Lock on lid and pressure cook 10 minutes., then let natural release another 10 minutes.
Open lid and transfer chicken cutlets to serving dish and keep warm.
Whisk in the flour and butter mixture and cook a couple minutes to thicken.
Stir in cream if you wish then pour sauce over chicken, garnish and serve.
Here’s the complete and printable recipe…
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- 3 large chicken breasts (boneless skinless) sliced into smaller cutlets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1-2 tbps olive oil
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1-8oz pkg mushrooms, white or cremini sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine (no marsala?sub with sherry or vermouth)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2-3 whole bay leaves + 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tbsp flour + 1 tbsp butter (room temperature) mix to form a paste
- Optional - 1/4 cup heavy cream + chopped parsley for garnish
- Season the chicken with salt + pepper. Dredge both sides of each chicken cutlet into a plate with flour, shaking off excess.
- Press SAUTE on your instant pot, add a tbsp of oil and heat until pot displays reads HOT.Add about half of the chicken. Cook for a couple minutes on each side, remove and set aside. Add more oil, repeat with remaining chicken (no need to fully cook chicken)
- Add a bit more oil, then onion+mushrooms and saute for a few minutes until soft. Add minced garlic and stir well.Pour in Marsala, stir and cook 30 secs, then add broth, bay leaves and thyme and return chicken to the pot, coating each piece with some broth.Press CANCEL.
- Lock on lid and turn pressure valve on lid to SEALING. Choose PRESSURE COOK mode and adjust timer to 10 minutes.
- When time is up, allow timer to count up 10 minutes of natural pressure release. Carefully turn pressure seal on lid to VENTING to release any remaining pressure.Open lid and transfer chicken cutlets to a serving dish, cover and keep warm.
- Press CANCEL then choose SAUTE mode. Whisk in flour+butter paste and combine well, cook 1 minute to thicken sauce.Give it a taste test at this point, that's the true chicken Marsala sauce! (If you wish, stir in some cream, it makes this sauce extra delicate and delicious) .Press CANCEL. Return chicken to pot, stir to coat and keep warm until ready to serve.