If you’ve been looking up recipes on Pinterest then you’re likely to have come across “Crack Chicken”.
It pops up often on searches and lures you in with promises of a cheesy, chicken and bacon meal that’s as addictive as “crack”….hmm well ok I like the cheesy chicken part anyways…yummy!
Recently several friends gave the Instant Pot version of this dish a try, but sadly and surprisingly might I add, all of them reported back that they were quite disappointed with the results.
“Meh…blah… lacking flavour…a big watery mess!”
Not so yummy after all.
And so, I was urged to give it a test run and come up with a new and improved Instant Pot recipe. Stat!
I stuck mostly to the original ingredients, no need to mess with this magical combo.
However, it was the overall cooking method that needed tweaking. Mainly because, in my opinion, this is not a dump and go recipe as suggested by the majority of online versions. It requires a few extra steps to make the most of this classic combination of flavours.
Here’s what I did:
Cook the bacon in the Instant pot, remove, then brown the chicken.
Substitute the water with broth, add only the seasonings, then pressure cook (dairy is never recommended in the pressure cooking cycle).
Remove the chicken and shred.
Whisk in the cheeses to the cooked liquid afterwards, to get a thicker + tastier sauce, then return chicken to sauce.
Stir in cooked bacon and green onion just before serving, to keep bacon crisp and crunchy, for better texture.
Give this updated recipe a try, and you might just end up loving crack chicken after all.
*I used my Instant Pot Duo for this recipe
INSTANT POT CRACK CHICKEN SANDWICHES
Instant Pot Crack Chicken Sandwiches
- 5 slices bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (2-3 breasts), cut in half boneless, skinless
- salt + pepper to taste (be generous for best flavour)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 envelope Ranch Dressing (powder)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 oz cream cheese (1/2 a block) room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 green onion finely sliced
- 4 large sandwich rolls/buns sliced open and buttered
- Press SAUTE mode on your Instant Pot, add chopped bacon and cook until crispy.Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add chicken to pot and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme.Cook chicken 2 minutes each side.
- Press CANCEL.Add chicken broth, ranch powder, smoked paprika and parsely.
- Lock on lid, turn pressure valve on lid to SEALING.Press PRESSURE COOK mode and adjust timer to 10 minutes.
- When cooking is done, let pot natural pressure release for 10 more minutes ( digital counter wll count up to 10 minutes).When done, carefully turn pressure valve on lid to VENTING to release any remaining pressure.Press CANCEL.
- Open lid, transfer chicken breasts to a plate and shread meat using two forks. Set aside.
- Press SAUTE mode on pot. Add cream cheese to the liquid in the pot and whisk until melted and well combined, then add cheddar cheese and continue whisking until smooth.Cook another 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot and stir well into cheese mixture.Press CANCEL.At this point if you are ready to serve the sandwiches, stir in the cooked bacon and the chopped green onion.Divide chicken mixture between 4 prepared buns and enjoy.(if serving later, then stir in bacon and onion just before serving)
PIN ME FOR LATER
*this post was featured at: