I know it’s still summer….but have you noticed how much cooler the nights are?
That means soup season is just around the corner! Woohooo!
Anyone who knows me, knows I love love love soups. I crave them!
Ok not as much as chocolate, that goes without saying right?! But I really do enjoy a good soup.
It just satisfies…the tummy and the soul.
So when I sampled this delicious traditional Portuguese soup that was brought into work by a colleague, I knew I had my next Instant Pot recipe challenge!
Here you go, my pressure cooker version of Caldo Verde.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
*I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo for this recipe
*a note for those that know caldo verde…the photos don’t do the soup justice unfortunately, the soup was greener than it appears and also I chose to chop the collard greens into smaller pieces, after cooking the soup, as I was not happy with the long strings (even though its traditional), the taste was great regardless. Also many use kale rather than collard greens, however both work well in this soup
INSTANT POT PORTUGUESE CALDO VERDE
Instant Pot Portuguese Caldo Verde Soup
- Instant Pot
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes peeled + cut in half
- 1 onion peeled + cut in half
- 3 large cloves garlic peeled + cut in half
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8-10 collard greens leaves (can sub with kale) washed
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 3 Chorizo sausages
- Add oil to Instant Pot, then add potatoes, onion, garlic and broth.Lock on lid, turn pressure valve on lid to SEALING.Choose PRESSURE COOK mode and adjust timer to 15 minutes.
- When timer is done, press CANCEL and do a quick release of pressure by carefully turning valve on lid to VENTING.Open lid, mash potatoes a bit with a fork or hand masher, then using an immersion blender blend soup until smooth.
- Divide the collard green leaves in two stacks. Roll up each stack of leaves tightly into a cigar shape and cut into very thin slices (as thin as possible).Add greens to Instant Pot and stir.
- Lock on lid and turn pressure valve on lid to SEALING.Choose PRESSURE COOK mode and adjust timer to 10 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, take two sausages and remove meat from casing. Fry the chopped bacon and sausage meat in frying pan until bacon and sausage are both cooked. Set aside.
- When cooking timer on Instant pot is beeps done, press CANCEL and do a quick release of pressure by carefully turning valve on lid to VENTING.Open lid, and using a slotted spoon transfer meat mixture to pot. Give it a good stir.Press SAUTE mode and bring soup to a boil (no lid), then choose cancel and return lid to pot.(put pot in KEEP WARM mode if serving soup fairly soon)
- Slice remaining sausage up into slices and cook in the frying pan until done. Set aside.
- When ready to serve soup, ladle into individual bowls and top with one slice of sausage (traditional way of serving the soup) or go ahead and divide them up evenly among bowls.Give each bowl a light drizzle of olive oil and enjoy!(if soup has been sitting for a while, choose KEEP WARM mode and reheat soup 10 minutes before serving)
*Disclaimer: some of the links you see on this blog are affiliate blogs, which means I may receive a small compesation, at no extra cost to you, if you purchase from these links. I appreciate your support.