Are you stuck for a delicious dessert idea that will please everyone?
Including your vegan family and friends, or anyone who’s simply not eating eggs or dairy?
That’s what I needed this past week, while helping my vegan daughter and son-in-law move into their new condo.
Because, let’s face it, there’s nothing quite like the smell of something yummy baking in the oven to make a new place feel like home.
I came across a great recipe on Pinterest. With some tweaking and additions, I created my own version.
We all loved it!
And if you don’t need it to be vegan, just use regular milk and butter. Same delicious results.
Either way, this is a simple one bowl cake that comes together quickly without the need for a mixer.
The hardest part about baking this cake is peeling the apples and waiting for it to bake…
Enjoy this cake plain, or fancy it up topped with a scoop of ice cream, Cool Whip or whipped cream, which by the way are all available in vegan versions and are equally delicious! (trust me they are and I am a big dairy lover!)
*the cake was inspired by this recipe:
APPLE SNACKING CAKE (plant based/vegan friendly)
Apple Snacking Cake (vegan)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup oat milk (any variety)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 unsweetened apple sauce snacking cup (or about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 medium size apples (any variety you like) cored, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp butter (vegan butter or margarine) melted
- 1 tps ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar (white or brown)
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add flour to a large mixing bowl, then stir in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- Add oat milk, vanilla, vinegar, apple sauce and oil. Stir together until well combined.
- Fold in the apples and walnuts.
- Lightly butter a 9"x 13" baking pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Pour batter into baking pan and spread out evenly.
- In a small bowl mix together topping ingredients: sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.Sprinkle this mixture on top of cake batter.
- Bake cake for about 40 minutes. (I used a dark non stick baking pan, so if using corning ware baking pans you may need another 5-10 minutes) (if toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean your cake is ready).
- Cool cake for at least 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature, top with icing sugar or a scoop of ice cream of your choice.