Who likes rum balls?
Especially the big, boozy ones they used to sell in bakeries years ago.
But, honestly, I can’t remember the last time I saw them for sale anywhere. Where did they go? I guess they lost their popularity.
In a lunchroom conversation recently, a friend (I’ll call her Mara…haha) shared this easy recipe that her family used to make a batch of rum balls.
They had me at Nutella of course! I just love that stuff!
I gave the recipe a try, and let me tell you that these little gems are darn delicious. They sure satisfied that rum ball carving I was having.
Never one to follow a recipe to a T however, I did make some small changes to the instructions I was given.
First of all I added some finely chopped walnuts to the mix (reminiscent of the rum balls of my youth). Also, I also added the cocoa to the mix rather than rolling the balls in it and I chose to make the rum balls bite size.
They make a great little sweet treat…it’s hard to have just one though, be warned.
Make a batch, put them in a pretty box, tie it up with a bow…and you’ve got yourself a great little gift…perhaps even for Mother’s day.
Here’s my adapted recipe…enjoy!
EASY NUTELLA RUM BALLS
Easy Nutella Rum Balls
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 4 tbsp Nutella generous ones!
- 1 oz Rum
- 1 tsp cocoa powder optional
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup decorating sugar or sprinkles
- In a medium bowl mix all ingredients (except decorating sugar) together, until well combined, and form into a ball.
- Using a small teaspoon, cut off small chunks of dough and roll between the palms of your clean hands, setting them aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Add some sugar or sprinkles to a small plate.Roll balls in the sugar to coat, and place them on a tray or in individual mini cupcake liners.
*this post was featured at: