Need a new breakfast idea?
Here’s a fantastic smoothie recipe that I’ve been enjoying ever since a friend posted a shot of her greenish concoction and peaked my curiosity…thanks Michelle, you got me hooked on this!
The original recipe came from an issue of Ricardo magazine, and it’s lovely…
But of course I tweaked it a tad and made it even better! Yes I did!
The special ingredient in this smoothie is of course Matcha powder.
A little research led me to discover that this variety of green tea is a great addition to a healthy diet. It helps to boost energy, memory and concentration, strengthens the immune system, detoxifies the body, and it’s high in antioxidants.
That’s a lot of goodness in just a teaspoon!
Also, it’s a great substitute for coffee…but nooooo…I’m not quite ready to give that up yet.
Of course, to get the most out of Matcha you need to buy the best quality you can get your hands on. Right now I am using the “Ceremonial Matcha” from David’s Tea. I bought it a while back and chose it because it was met with great reviews by Matcha masters…yes they exist…not sure they still sell it, as they change up their selection often, but they do carry several other varieties.
This smoothie tastes very fresh and light, with a fair amount of banana flavour and Matcha flavour, and just a hint of cocoa.
I love it!…and I don’t love green tea…but this is special!
Have a fantastic weekend!
MATCHA BANANA BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE
Matcha Breakfast Smoothie
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp Matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt or any substitute that works for your diet
- 1 banana frozen
- 2/3 cup milk of your choice
- 1 tsp ground flax
- 1 tsp pure cacao nibs
- optional 1/2 tsp of maple syrup if you want some extra sweetness
- Add hot water to a small bowl and whisk in matcha powder until dissolved.
- Add remaining ingredients to a blender cup, then pour in matcha mixture and process until smooth and frothy.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
*if you want to see the original recipe follow this link to the Ricardo Magazine article