Instant Pot Potato Salad Hack
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 medium size Russet Potatoes peeled, cubed
- 3 large eggs (make 4 if you like to slice one up to decorate your salad)
- 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- Add water to instant pot.
- Place a steamer basket inside the pot and spread cubed potatoes on it, then top with the eggs.
- Lock on lid, and turn pressure valve on lid to SEALING.Press PRESSURE COOK button and adjust timer to 5 minutes.
- When timer is done, do a quick pressure release by carefully turning pressure valve on lid to VENTING.
- Open Lid, remove eggs and place them in a bowl filled with cold water and several ice cubes. Set the bowl aside to cool eggs.
- Carefully lift out Instant Pot liner, with potatoes inside, to a counter trivet and let it cool 10 minutes. Then carefully lift out steamer basket and transfer potatoes to a large bowl, drizzle with vinegar, stir and set aside to cool at least 10 min.
- Once potatoes are room temperature they are ready to be mixed with your favourite potato salad dressing.Peel the eggs, cut them in half and remove the yolks.Finely chop the white part, crush the yolks with a fork, and fold both into your potato salad dressing.*if you cooked an extra egg for garnishing your salad, don't forget to set it aside, and keep it in the fridge until ready to serve your salad, then slice it and set it on top as a garnish with a dash of paprika
It’s that time of year…potato salad season!
The May long weekend in my corner of the world is the beginning of picnics, pool parties and backyard BBQs.
And the one dish you’re sure to find at these fun-tastic gatherings is…potato salads.
It’s a staple for sure, and it comes in a surprising number of varieties.
Today’s post is not a recipe but rather a recipe hack, that you can use with your favourite go-to potato salad recipe. It’s a way to simplify the process using your Instant Pot, of course!
THE HACK – one pot cooking, that means cooking both the potatoes and eggs together in the Instant Pot.
THE RESULT – perfectly cooked potatoes and easy to peel eggs, and only one pot to clean!
Once you’ve tried this method a couple of times and see how easy it is, it will become your go-to way of making potato salad.
Give it a try and let me know what think of this idea.
Enjoy the long weekend everyone, play safe.
And just in case you don’t have your own go-to Potato Salad recipe, here’s my recipe…
Mary’s Classic Potato Salad
Mary's Classic Potato Salad
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp yellow mustard (Dijon mustard is also good)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or juice from a pickle jar)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1/2 tsp dried parsley)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- optional add-ins (1/4 cup each) (add the ones you like, 1 or all) finely chopped red onion, finely chopped celery, finely sliced radishes
- cooked Potatoes + Eggs from Instant Pot Potato Salad Hack recipe
- dash paprika for garnish
- In a large bowl whisk the first 7 ingredients together.
- Add cooked crushed egg yolks and whisk well to combine.
- Add cooked, cooled potatoes, chopped egg whites and any optional ingredients you are using to the bowl and mix together well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Before serving garnish with dashes of paprika and if using, the reserved egg slices.
PIN ME FOR LATER